Job Description for CTS Train Manager/Conductor/Engineer
- Works a variety of hours within a 24/7 transportation environment. Maintains safe movement of trains by adhering to applicable operating rules/practices.
- Oversees train employees in coordinates with Delivery Companies
- Coordinates Tuesday & Thursdays with CTS Warehouse Supervisor
Performs related duties as assigned, i.e., liaison with customs officers when necessary
- Ensures all revenue documents (cash, credit card receipts, proof of payment) are collected/verified in accordance with designated tariffs. Ensures each passenger has paid the proper tour fare.
- Ensures safety of passengers and crew by adhering to safety rules.
- Thinks and functions independently utilizing clear and effective verbal communication skills to interact with passengers, crew members, and others jointly responsible for safe and efficient train movements and customer service.
- Works in either a passenger or non-passenger operation (including yard duty and work trains).
- Secures movement orders and ensures clear understanding by operating crew.
- Ensures pre-determined service requests are understood and carried out.
- Maintains understanding of operating characteristics and practices including physical characteristics, safety rules, air brake rules, electrical instructions, equipment trouble-shooting practices, and emergency procedures.
- Physically moves between and around train cars manipulating and lifting heavy air hoses and electrical cables. Safely rides the side of train equipment, getting on and off equipment, as required.
- Submit of various reports to record movement delays, unusual occurrences, passenger inconveniences, and mechanical defects.
- Assists in boarding and deboarding of passengers, baggage, express shipments, and mail.
- Makes customer service announcements.
- Provides information about train service to include passenger connections. Makes special arrangements in case of service failure.
- Ensures safe and orderly passenger conduct.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of what makes up the elements of quality customer service
- Must be able to interact and communicate professionally with passengers and co-workers under all types of circumstances.
- Must demonstrate a demeanor and well-groomed appearance that conveys to passengers a sense of competence and complete professionalism.
- Must understand and totally comply with CTS’s uniform & good grooming standards when engaged in performing passenger service.
Learn more about the day in the life of a Conductor by watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1clZI-RZGc.
To Qualify for this Position
- Must have, at least, 2 years full-time experience as a Passenger Conductor and exhibit taking responsibility, initiative, leadership, train engineering and mechanical experience/knowledge.
- Satisfactory attendance and safe work record.
- Must be willing and able to: Work in all types of weather conditions including extreme heat, cold, snow, and rain.
- Perform duties in an environment requiring physical agility in order to easily get off/on train equipment, manipulate self between cars, bend, reach, stoop, easily and safely ride the side of trains, and lift a variety of equipment.
- Successfully complete a pre-employment medical examination and drug screening. Submit to and pass periodic medical examinations as well as random drug and alcohol screenings during the first year of employment.
- Must have a current valid drivers license; must have a good safety record and prior satisfactory job performance;
- Model customer service role that includes interacting with the customer and handling cash.
- Work history demonstrates the ability to adapt to variable work hours.
- Report for work on short notice and work weekends and holidays.
- and must live near a CTS Tour Hub (Oceanside, Fullerton or Perris) where your office will be located.
Part Time PAY:
CTS’s current schedule depends on experience as a Conductor, up to $80/hr
If you become a full-time associate, CTS offers Medical & Dental benefits:
- Healthcare package for full-time associates
- Dentalcare package for full-time associates
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s): Rotating between CTS HUBS
Travel Requirements:Up to 100%
We want your work at CTS to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for CTS job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment reference check, background verification, criminal records check, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. CTS is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping CTS safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), CTS is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for CTS to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
CTS is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
Qualified applicants will be notified of the exact time of their interview to determine their relative knowledge, skills and ability in job related areas.